“Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?” Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.” “You have judged correctly,” Jesus said. (Luke 7:41-43)
Whoever wants to be great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. (Mark 10:43-44)
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love (1John 4:7-8)
The sixth core value that the Vision and Mission Team identified in 2008 is: We love and serve God and one another. Love for God and love from God for others comes from God as He works in our hearts by His Spirit.
Love for God comes form the realization of how great His grace is towards us. The one who realizes how much he has been forgiven of, has a reason to love God. Love for Him results in keeping His commandments. When we are too busy to think about God, or to make Him and doing His will a priority in our life, then we have forgotten how great His mercy is toward us.
Love also comes into our lives as we know God personally, “for God is love.” Love for God and love from God will lead us to love others. We will love the people that He loves. And as we love others we will seek to help and serve them, just as Christ came not to be served but to serve.
The Prayer of Francis of Assisi:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
Oh, divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
It is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
- Pray that genuine love for God would deepen in our church
- Pray that we would realize afresh how great God’s grace is toward us, that He has forgiven our sins
- Pray that we would love one another as well
- Pray for a spirit of humility in our church, that we would seek to serve one another out of love, and not desire to be served.
- Pray that we might listen more than speak, seek to understand and encourage each other.
- Pray for those closest to you, that God would show you how you may help and serve them in Jesus’ name today.